Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Cooking...

So for anyone who knows me knows that well, I don't normally cook. I don't really know how, I'm not one of those who can grab this and that out of the cupboards and fridge and throw it together to make some wonderful masterpiece. Well I thought I would give it a shot tonight. Um not the grab this and that part, I actually consulted an iPhone app with tons of great recipes. I found one for Filet Mignon, which I bought Rib Eyes instead due to the lack of meat in the meat department of my small grocery store...but anyway it also had a great garlic shrimp cream sauce. I wandered through the grocery store, making sure to get calls in to my mom and Connie Shirley to be sure to get all of the correct ingredients, I mean if it calls for heavy cream, why don't they just call it heavy whipping cream, since you know, that is what they call it in the store...hmph.

After all ingredients were collected I headed home to begin to prepare my findings. I marinated the rib eyes in a mix of red wine, soy sauce, garlic powder and some salt and pepper. I then soaked cut up green, red, yellow, orange peppers and onions in an olive oil with some garlic, salt and pepper. I prepared the shrimp by removing the tails and cutting them in half. Things were ready so I began the cooking process.

I heated up the skillet to cook the rib eyes in and once it was warm I placed the rib eyes in the skillet and let them begin the sizzle. I then melted some butter and olive oil in another pan letting each ingredient melt before adding the next for the sauce. I added some Chardonnay, garlic, salt, pepper, more butter, olive oil and shallots. I then added in the shrimp and let them cook until they became a nice pink color. I placed the peppers on a banking sheet added a little more salt and pepper and placed them in the oven at 400 degrees. The kitchen was starting to smell good!!!

I kept an eye on the rib eyes and kept them turned so as to not overcook one side and cut into one to make sure they had a nice pink color in the middle, yum! The sauce was almost done so I heated up the potatoes and checked on the peppers in the oven. Everything was coming together nicely! Once everything was done I prepared each plate. The rib eyes were topped with the shrimp sauce which ended up not thickening as much as I thought it should so it basically ran all over the plate to mix in with the peppers and mashed potatoes, but thankfully it worked out perfectly and complimented both the peppers and the potatoes. Bryan & Todd (Bryan's brother) were thoroughly impressed and very full at the end of the meal! HA cooking success!

Very good for my first time really cooking a dinner...if anyone heard my last cooking baking story they would be impressed. I mean no one else I know has mixed up flour and powdered sugar, but I can tell you first hand it can be done! At least the second batch of cookies turned out! So I think I am going to continue to try and cook dinners on Monday nights, so stay tuned for more delicious updates!

If anyone wants the recipe click here!

No comments: